Having acne can have a negative impact on our self-esteem and confidence. But it does not have to! In celebration of National Youth Confidence Day, here are our top 10 simple tips to help you build self-confidence.
1. “Fake it til you make it”: by smiling, making eye contact and sitting upright, you’ll come across as more confident (even if you’re not feeling much like it)
2. People with a growth mindset have a positive, can-do attitude towards challenges and focus on learning from their mistakes rather than dwelling on them; this way, confidence is based on growth and improving (which everyone can do) instead of a fixed ability
3. Affirmations are a well-known technique to build confidence, but sometimes they can feel unrealistic or fake. We find that correcting negative self-talk (especially "I can’t…" statements) feels much more effective in building confidence
4. Following through when you’ve made a decision to carry out a task is SO important! Not only is the result beneficial, but it also makes you feel accomplished which often gives us a confidence boost
5. Following on from the last tip, celebrating small wins is a great way to help you acknowledge your progress which creates a feeling of pride, leading to improve self-confidence
6. Being present in the moment is a key way to avoid overthinking past mistakes or future problems - meditation is great for this! Meditation helps you to become more
self-aware which is the foundation for true self-confidence
7. Visualisation is another meditation technique that can build confidence through improving your self-image; visualise your best self and then take the steps to reach that version of yourself
8. Lack of confidence often comes from uncertainty in unfamiliar environments and situations; exploring new places, foods, interests is a great way to build confidence to handle new scenarios, leading to improved overall self-confidence
9. Passion projects can be anything that you love to do and that makes you happy, allowing yourself time to recharge and work on something important to you makes you feel good about yourself, leading to self-love, higher self-esteem and self-confidence!
10. Last but not least, exercise; a scientifically proven method to release endorphins that make you feel good about yourself and more confident (as well as improving your physical and mental health and a million more reasons). Walking or hiking in nature is a great way to relieve stress and the perfect time to get to know yourself even more!